The International Webinar on Dispute Resolution in Portuguese-speaking Countries, Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and Hainan Free Trade Port cum Signing Ceremony of Framework Cooperation Agreement was successfully held on July 17, 2021, 8:30 p.m. (Macau & Hong Kong time) on Zoom. The event was co-organised by the Macao Mediation Association, Haikou International Business Mediation Center, International Dispute Resolution & Risk Management Institute, and Instituto de Certificacao e Formacao de Mediadores Lusofonos.
Dr. Bowie Kuong Meng Wa, President of Macao Mediation Association, delivered the opening speech with great wish towards the establishment of cooperation between the four professional institutions across the globe.
The Webinar was moderated by Prof. Dr. Francis Law, Chairman of the International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute. He illustrated the importance of institutional collaborations to make better in mediation development. This facilitates the adoption of professional mediation shall reach beyond dispute resolution, also as a means for risk prevention in businesses.
4 panelists were invited to share in the webinar session. It covers most of the important topics in mediation development
- Ms. Yang Yang, Mediator of Haikou International Business Mediation Center, focused on the Construction of the Hainan Free Trade Port and the development of the International Commercial Dispute Resolution Mechanism. She shared on the internationalisation of Haikou, where it is being developed into a world-class free trade port to support the business and economic growth, benefiting the China market. Such advancement would require aid from professional mediation.
- Ms. Ana Maia Goncalves, Founder and President of Instituto de Certificacao e Formacao de Mediadores Lusofonos, elaborated on the importance of international professional standard for mediation. She introduced the alliance for international mediation standards and how the alliance network would be able to supplement the overall professional development for mediation standards worldwide. It merits to provides trustable and high-quality mediators for business and dispute resolutions.
- Rafael Villar Gagliardi, Partner of Demarest Advogados, provided insight on the Legal Services for Dispute Resolution in Brazil. He illustrated the situation of dispute resolution and mediation practices in where there is a huge populated country with a high volume of lawsuits administrated at the court. The room for improvement is huge, in particular for international disputes. The increased complexity of disputes between Brazilian and Chinese parties has created a great demand for tailor-made, effective, and time-preserved internationally professional mediation services.
- Mr. Ouyang Yi, Vice President of Macao Mediation Association & Partner of GFE Law Office, update us on the current situation of domestic and international practice of China-mediation. Followed by his analysis, he suggested recommendations for international cooperation in Mediation in relation to cross-border disputes.
The Signing of The Framework Cooperation Agreement was hosted by Mr. Zhangjun, Partner of Demarest Advogados
- Macao Mediation Association
- Haikou International Business Mediation Center
- International Dispute Resolution & Risk Management Institute
- Instituto de Certificacao e Formacao de Mediadores Lusofonos
The collaboration aims to facilitate more effectively promote the development of dispute resolution consultation services in Hainan, Hong Kong, Macao, Brazil, Angola, Portugal, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bissau, to use mediation as a means to resolve commercial disputes arising from investments and operation of companies and individuals in all countries and regions, and to provide the best commercial dispute resolution services for commercial entities in Hainan, Hong Kong, Macao Brazil, Angola, Portugal, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau, all parties agree to enter into a cooperation framework agreement on dispute resolution and research, recommendation of international mediators and training services for mediators.
Prof. Dr. Francis Law concluded, the document signed today is essential to building an effective bridge for businesses and investments between Hainan, Hong Kong, Macao, Brazil, Angola, Portugal, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bissau. We witnessed a new page where organisations, corporates, and professionals having better opportunities in international trading with the betterment of risk prevention and security this collaboration aims to achieve.
- Demarest Advogados
- HVL Law Firm
- GFE Law Office
- International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management (Macao) Association
- Hong Kong Mediation Centre
- Mainland-Hong Kong Mediation Center
- Hong Kong International Mediation Centre
- Hong Kong Centre of International Commercial Arbitration
- International Professional Dispute Resolution Advocates Association