The Current Developments and Trends in Construction Dispute Resolution webinar had been successfully conducted on the 26th of January 2021. The webinar was proudly co-organised by the Hong Kong Centre of International Commerce Arbitration (HKCICA), Hong Kong International Mediation Centre (HKIMC), International Dispute Resolution & Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI), and Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation (AIDRN). We are also grateful for the tremendous support from 17 supporting organisations to this particular event. With over 330 participants joined us in the webinar from Hong Kong SAR, China, Singapore, India, Indonesia, and more, the event was highly participated and received numerous positive feedbacks.
Dr Christopher To, Chairman of Construction Arbitration Committee of HKCICA, acted as the moderator to hold a discussion with the distinguished arbitration and mediation experts Mr Stanley Lo, Ms Alice To, Mr Damon So, and Mr Sidney Tong. Dr. Alfred Chan, the Vice President of the International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute, was the host of the webinar. They worked together and organised a great discussion among some popular questions in construction dispute resolution.
The webinar contains 6 sections include:
- General questions,
- Mediation Questions,
- COVID-19 Questions,
- Arbitration Questions, and
- Concluding Remarks.
Our speakers discussed the current issues facing the construction industry when it comes to dispute resolution. Our speakers have shared with us the existing climate and challenges faced in the construction field from the perspective of a service buyer, provider, legal, dispute resolution professionals regarding the issues related to resolving disputes. Also, on what they see as the potential way outs. One of the more pressing topics is the issue that relates to the current COVID-19 specific arrangement for the construction contracts, shared in-depth by Alice. Sidney and Stanley shared with us their experience of using mediation and arbitration, but more important the expectation from the user’s point of view on towards the legal professional, mediator, and arbitrations when facilitating the process, quote from Damon, making it “less painful”. What's more, when choosing a dispute resolution mechanism, parties need to consider the availability of the evidence, the relationship dynamic that they wish to maintain with the opposing or potential partnership side, and the resources they have.
Dr Christopher To
Mr Stanley Lo
Mr Damon So
Ms Alice To
Mr Sidney Tong
Dr. Alfred Chan
We would like to present a huge appreciation to our honourable speakers: Mr Stanley Lo, Ms Alice To, Mr Damon So, and Mr Sidney Tong who shared with us their valuable insight and expertise. Meanwhile, our big thanks to Dr Christopher To, who has moderated the webinar with nothing but excellence. Also thank you for a smooth event arrangement led by our host, Dr Alfred Chan. We also express deep gratitude to all co-organisers, and supporting organisations.
We firmly believe that through the joint efforts of our members, distinguished experts, and professionals, we will take a step forward in dispute resolution on construction projects.
- Hong Kong Centre of International Commercial Arbitration(HKCICA)
- Hong Kong International Mediation Centre (HKIMC)
- International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute(IDRRMI)
- Academy of International Dispute Resolution and ProfessionalNegotiation (AIDRN)
- Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Mediation Center
- Hong Kong Mediation Centre
- International Professional Dispute Resolution AdvocatesAssociation
- Macao Mediation Association and Macao Mediation Centre
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration CommissionHong Kong Arbitration Centre
- eBRAM International Online Dispute Resolution Centre Limited
- Mediators’ Global Group
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Property Managers
- Hong Kong Institution of Building and Services Engineers
- The Hong Kong Institute of Real Estate Administrators
- Asian Academy of International Law
- International Postdoc Association
- Asia Pacific Centre for Arbitration and Mediation
- Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers – Hong Kong Chapter
- Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
- Doctors Think Tank Academy
News update on Wechat: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/0MYSOYbLKxVcxidQeEQgyA